March 13, 2009

If you or someone you know has been affected by an adverse drug reaction it is important that you report it.  MedEffectâ„¢ Canada is the office to report any suspected adverse reactions from any drugs or health products you may have taken.

In Canada, there is a legislative requirement for post approval surveillance of health products under the Food and Drugs Act and Regulations.  The regulations define an adverse drug reaction as a noxious and unintended response to a drug which occurs at doses normally used or tested for the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of a disease or the modification of an organic function.

MedEffectâ„¢ Canada is interested in hearing about any unintended adverse reactions from products like drugs, medical devices and natural health products.  Drugs include both prescription and non-prescription pharmaceuticals; biologically-derived products such as vaccines, serums, and blood derived products; cells, tissues and organs; disinfectants; and radiopharmaceuticals.  Reactions may occur under normal use of the product and may be evident within minutes or years after exposure to the product.  Adverse reactions may range from minor reactions like a skin rash to serious and life-threatening events such as a heart attack or liver damage.

This is a serious issue as unintended reactions to drugs can cause hospitalization, disability or in some cases, death.  Voluntary reporting is the most common way to monitor the safety and effectiveness of marketed health products and to obtain information regarding unintended adverse reaction.  These individual reports may be the only source of information concerning previously undetected reactions or changes in product safety and effectiveness.  Consumers and health care workers all have a role to play in the safety of our drugs and health products.

See for more information.  A report form is available on the website that you can fill out online or print off and mail in postage-paid.  You can fax the form toll-free to 1-866-678-6789.  You can also contact the office by calling toll-free 1-866-234-2345.

Until next time. . .

Earl Dreeshen, MP
Red Deer